This weekend’s picks for free and cheap things to do (12/14 to 12/16) in NYC. Cultural events in art, architecture, music, film, dance, theater, design, walking tours, food, and fun!
1. Art – Henry Moore: Late Large Forms. Simply spectacular! Fri 12/14 & Sat 12/15 and through 1/19. 10am to 6pm. FREE
Also also in Art – Masterpieces: A Fact-Filled Coloring Book. Professional artists of various disciplines, as well as creative nonprofessionals, were recruited to reinterpret the book’s 60 pages, each depicting a famous work of art. Fri 12/14 at 8pm. FREE
2. Graphic Design – The Lustigs: A cover story an exhibit including 500 book, magazine and catalog covers designed by Alvin and Elaine Lustig. Fri 12/14 and through 2/15/13.11am to 5pm FREE
3. Food/Tour - Crosstown Pizza Walk, Fri 12/14 & Sat 12/15 at 11am. 3 hrs $35
4. Design/Talk — 3DEA Pop Up: Artist’s Talk. Artists speak about their 3D printed works. Fri 12/14 at 7:30pm FREE
5. Film/Talk – A Conversation with Ewan McGregor interviewed by NYTimes’ Melena Ryzik. Fri 12/14, 6:30 to 8pm. $35.
6. Music – Antibalas with special guests Red Baraat, Fri 12/14 at 8pm $25
7. Art/Internet/Talks & Multiple Events – #NYANCATCITY a good-humored, creatively diverse 4-day series of events that celebrates creativity and the influence of Internet culture—and cats. All weekend. FREE
8. Music – The Pains of Being Pure at Heart at Brooklyn Night Bazaar. Fri 12/14.
9. Food – Free Momofuku Milk Bar cookies from the roaming Holiday Cookie Truck and pastry chef Christina Tosi w/her mom. Sat 12/15 from 11am to 5:30pm. See locations.
10. Peformance/Art/Theater – What the Dickens Third Annual A Christmas Carol Marathon. Sat 12/15 at 1pm FREE
11. Fun/Goofiness – SantaCon. Put on your Santa suit and roam (and drink) with hundreds of others, hopefully bringing good cheer to all and not trouble. Sat 12/15 at 10am. Follow @SantaCon on Twitter for locations.
Alternatively in mellower Santa-ness: Santa Claus Association—the subject of the City Reliquary’s current exhibit. This group began in NYC in 1913, diverting children’s letters to Santa from the postal service’s “Dead Letter Office” and matching them with donors who could fill their requests. All weekend. $5
12. Music/Participatory Performance Art – Unsilent Night. Each participant gets one of four tracks of music in the form of a cassette, CD, or Mp3. Together all four tracks comprise Unsilent Night. Sat 12/15 at 7pm. Washington Sq. Park FREE
15. Readings/Party/Music – Gigantic Magazine Launch Party with music, readings, booze and more: Sat 12/15 at 8:30pm. $10 in advance $12 door
16. Walking Tour – Chinatown: Culture and Change Walking Tour. Sun 12/16 at 1pm $20
17. Art/Multimedia Performances – Sunday Sessions Pier Paolo Pasolini: Intellecttuale, Sun 12/16, 12 to 6pm. $10.
18. Music – John Wesley Harding’s Cabinet of Wonders. Fountains of Wayne, Ron Sexsmith and many more. A few bar stools left. $25. Sun 12/16 6pm doors; 8pm show
Additional ongoing events to keep in mind:
Ann Hamilton’s The Event of a Thread participatory installation all weekend. $12.
Brooklyn Night Bazaar continues every Friday and Saturday through 12/22. FREE
11th Annual Holiday Train Show at Grand Central. All weekend. FREE
Holiday Nostalgia Train: Ride a Vintage Subway. Sundays through 12/30. $2.50
Be sure to check back for updates and peruse previous COTC posts for some additional ongoing events.