This weekend’s picks for Free & Cheap things to do in NYC (1/4 to 1/6.) Click through on the images above for the corresponding event page and details, or use the links below.
From left to right, top to bottom:
1. ART: How Much Do I Owe You?: Sound installations, projections, immersive installations in the iconic former Bank of Manhattan in LIC.
2. FILM: 56Up – Michael Apted’s documentary following a group of people every 7 years. Should be excellent.
3. FILM/LECTURE: Ethics in Film - The Terminator.
4. COMEDY: 7th Annual 50 First Jokes - $10 advance. $12 door
5. THEATER/DANCE: COIL 2013 Performance Festival.
6. FILM/ART: Christian Marclay’s The Clock. FREE Fridays 4 to 8pm.
7. FILM: First Look Film Series $12 adults/$9 students
8. ART: Martin Soto Climent, Contemporary Sculpture. 5pm Sat Opening, FREE
9. ART: Lin Tianmiao: Bound Unbound, Chinese Contemporary Art. FREE Fri 6 to 9pm. Other times $10.
10. THEATER: Job by Thomas Bradshaw. A Tarantino-esque tale. $20 to $25
11. MUSIC/DANCE/ART: Target First Saturday at the Brooklyn Museum w/ Lez Zeppelin, Heems from Das Racist and Occupy Wall Street writers. FREE
12. DANCE: Noche Flamenca. $35
13. GRAPHIC DESIGN: The Fifty and Fifty State Mottos Project. 50 posters by 50 designers depicting each state’s motto, graphically. FREE
14. FOOD: The Great CSA Smackdown. Citywide cooking competition. Sat 2 to 4pm. FREE
15. ART: Franck Yefeng Wang’s installation titled Impersonal. FREE
16. ART: Target Free Sundays at the Studio Museum of Harlem. Gallery Tour at 1pm. FREE
17. READINGS: Sunday Night Fiction – Readings by Alexandra Chasin, Dawn Raffel, John Dermot Woods and Halvor Aakhus. Sunday; 7 to 9pm FREE
18. ART: Paint the World Project - Over 20 artists will be creating multiple large scale canvases. FREE
Check back for possible updates throughout the weekend, and check out previous Culture on the Cheap posts for ongoing events.