Click on individual photos for official event page or use the corresponding numbered links below.
This weekend’s picks for Free & Cheap things to do in NYC (2/8 to 2/10) in art, music, theater, film, performance, dance, architecture and general fun.
1. ART: All Weekend & through 2/16 – Pratt Senior design student Stephie Miller (and our good friend!) has her Chelsea debut as part of Sweet N Low along with Hannah Antalek & Kelly McNutt at Studio 7D. Thurs through Sundays; noon to 6pm. FREE
2. TALK/FILM: Fri 2/8 – A Conversation with Jessica Chastain at 3pm Tkts FREE at the box office 1 hour before, first-come first-served basis.
3. FILM: All Weekend – Athena Film Festival: highlights the diversity of women’s leadership in real life and fictional world. FREE to $12 see schedule
4. CONFERENCE: Fri 2/8 and Sat 2/9 – Get Ready for the Marvelous: Black Surrealism in Dakar, Fort-de-France, Havana, Johannesburg, NYC, Paris, Port-au-Prince, 1932-2013 1 to 5:30pm FREE with RSVP
5. ART/ARCHITECTURE/ENGINEERING: All weekend & through 2/11 – Canstruction amazing structures created with cans that are donated to City Harvest. 10am to 6pm. FREE though a donation of a can of food per person is suggested.
6. MUSIC: Fri 2/8 – BadBadNotGood: jazzy electronic trio with hip hop breaks. 8:30pm $12.
7. FOOD: All weekend & through 2/28 – 21st Annual Hot Chocolate Festival
8. MUSIC: Fri 2/8 – Joseph Arthur and Martha Wainwright 6pm doors, 8pm show. $15 to $25
9. DESIGN/FASHION: All weekend & through 4/13 – Shoe Obsession: contemporary footwear designs. FREE
10. CONFERENCE/ARCHITECTURE: Sat 2/9 – Waterproofing New York 9am to 5pm all day confrence
11. ART/FOOD/MUSIC/FUN: Sat 2/9 – Lunar New Year Celebration: food, mahjong and music with Confettisystem & Gather. 3 to 6pm $10
12. FILM: All weekend & through 3/14 – Film series Amos Vogel and his text Film as Subversive Art $10
13. ARCHITECTURE/DESIGN: Sat 2/9 – Modern Architecture & Design Scavenger Hunt 11am to 7pm $30 (Postponed due to storm till 3/9)
14. ART PRESENTATION/RECEPTION: Sat 2/9 & Sun 2/10 – Aliya Bonar: PowerSuit Camp – What would your most courageous self would do, say, and wear? Public Presentation and Reception Sat 6 to 9pm Open house; Discussion Sunday 2 to 5pm. FREE
15. MUSIC: Sat 2/9 – The Rolling Tones deliver a rocking performance of songs from the Rolling Stones. 11pm $10 to $12
16. ART/ARCHITECTURE/TOUR: Sun 2/10 – Art and Architecture of the Subway Tour; 2pm $20
17. THEATER/INTERACTIVE: Sat 2/9 & Sun 2/10 – Trade Practices an interactive live art event drops audiences into a living market in the trade of short serialized performances. 8:30pm $10 to $15.
18. MUSIC: Sun 2/10 – Truth or Truffles Concert. Music by Strauss and Hartmann’s different approaches to the devastation of WWI & WWII. Concert at 2pm, Conductor’s Notes Q&A at 1pm. $25 to $50; half price tkts through 2/9 available here.
Sun 2/10: 14th New Year Firecracker Ceremony & Cultural Festival. 11am FREE
Fri 2/8 and all weekend – Blues for Smoke at the Whitney FREE Friday evenings 6 to 9pm. $18 adults all other times
All weekend & through 2/17: Materializing ‘Six Years': Lucy R. Lippard and the Emergence of Conceptual art. Pay what you wish
All weekend: CoolNY Dance Festival
Sat 2/9: High Line Snow Sculpt Off – Registration 2:30, Judging 4pm. FREE
Sun 2/10: Slow Food NYC – Foodopoly. Author Wenonah Hauter reads & discusses her book. 4 to 6pm. FREE
Sun 2/10: Grammy Awards Screened with full concert sound. Doors 6pm/Show 8pm. FREE
Check our previous Culture on the Cheap posts for ongoing events and check back over the weekend for possible updates. Enjoy!