This weekend’s picks for Free & Cheap things to do in NYC (1/18 to 1/20) in art, music, theater, film, performance, comedy, architecture and general fun. Click through on the images above for their event page and more details, or use the links in corresponding numbered list below.
FROM LEFT TO RIGHT, TOP TO BOTTOM
1. SPORTY FUN: All Weekend – J.P. Morgan Squash Tournament in Grand Central $5 and up.
2. MUSIC: 1/18 & 1/19 – Paris 1919 John Cale accompanied by the Wordless Music Orchestra to perform his 1973 pop-art landmark. 8pm $20 and up. Limited seats available
3. MUSIC: 1/18 – Rumours Live – A Fleetwood Mac Tribute with .357 Lover, Balthrop Alabama & Awkward Book Club. Doors 7pm Show 8pm $10.
4. MUSIC/MULTIMEDIA: 1/18 – The Naura Elegies w/ DJ Spooky performance/multimedia event 7pm
5. THEATER: 1/18 – Radiohole’s Inflatable Frankenstein, avant garde theater about the tragic life of Mary Shelley. Waitlist left. $20
6. ART/PRESENTATION: 1/18 – The Birth of a Scent: Viktor&Rolf Spicebomb; fully interactive presentation explaining the process behind the creation of this work by olfactory artist Carlos Benaim. 7:30pm. $15.
7. ART/THEATER: 1/18 & 1/19 through 2/3 – Flint and Tinder presents: Loss Machine by Kyle Loven. Part installation, part image-driven theater, intimate in scale, this wistful one-man show combines puppets, objects, sound, and original music, in a visual exploration of loss and discovery. 7pm $15
8. ART: 1/19 – Frozen Lakes Exhibit Opening at Artist Space 6 to 8pm. FREE
9. ART/TECH: 1/19 – Eyebeam Chats: Artists in Conversation 12 to 6pm FREE
10. ART/FUN: 1/19 – Ice Festival at Belvedere Castle 12 to 3pm FREE
11. MUSIC: 1/19 – Elysian Fields w/Marissa Nadler & Ramona Lisa. Doors 6:30pm Show 7pm $15
12. COMEDY: 1/19 – Greg Proops The Smartest Man in the World: 8:30pm $15
13. ART/FILM: 1/18 & 1/19 through 2/9 – Marilyn Monroe: The Lost Film of Peter Mangone FREE
14. ART/PERFORMANCE: 1/20 – Aki Sasamoto: Talking in Circles in Talking 7pm at Soloway FREE
15. THEATER: All weekend & through 2/17 – The Vandal by Hamish Linklater $45 Sat Mat. All other perfs: $50
16. ART/PRESENTATION: 1/20 – Taisha Paggett Hands On Blindfold Challenge 2 to 4pm (create art blindfolded) FREE
17. READINGS/DISCUSSION: 1/20 – A. Peter Bailey’s play “Malcolm, Martin and Medgar,” an imagined reunion of the slain civil rights icons, with WNYC’s Brian Lehrer & journalist Farai Chidaya. 3 to 5pm. FREE with reservation.
18. FILM: 1/20 – This is Not a Film: Documentary smuggled out of Iran in a flash drive in a cake. 3 to 5pm $12
MORE EVENTS & LAST CALLS
Last weekend to see Christian Marclay’s The Clock at MoMA. Also check out The Caravan Project “a museum by delivery” installation & performance by Eiko & Koma. Both FREE on Friday from 4 to 8pm
Last weekend to see Picasso Black and White at Guggenheim. Pay-what-you-wish Sat 5:45 to 7:45pm.
1/18 Discussion: Artist Judith Bernstein and Paul McCarthy New Museum 7pm $8
1/20 Architecture Workshop: Environmental Resiliency Workshop – Urban Ecology in the Face of Natural Disasters 1 to 3pm. FREE
All weekend in Dance: American Realness Festival at Abrons Arts Center. Various performances and showtimes. $20
Check our previous Culture on the Cheap posts for ongoing events and check back over the weekend for possible updates. Enjoy!