Free & Cheap things to do this weekend in NYC (3/29/13 to 3/31/13) between bites of matzo or peeps, or neither. Events in art, music, theater, performance, dance, architecture, film, design and general fun. Click through to event pages for more info on images above or in the descriptions below.
1. ART: Fri 3/29 & Sat 3/30 through 4/6 – Daniel Rozin, Angles at Bitforms, cool interactive art. Love this guy’s work! FREE
2. DANCE/ART/PERFORMANCE: All Weekend – HeardNY: artist Nick Cave transforms Grand Central Terminal’s Vanderbilt Hall into a pasture for a grazing herd of 30 fantastical life-size horses. Accompanied by the sounds of live harpist. Daily Crossings at 11am & 2pm. Tours daily at 3pm. FREE
3. PARTICIPATORY/FUN: Fri 3/29 – Holi, Hindu Festival of Colors Dress in white and expect to get colors thrown all over them and you. At Solar 1 on the East River near 22nd Street. 4:30 to 7:30pm. FREE.
5. THEATER: Fri 3/29 & Sat 3/30 matinee – West Side Story. Tisch New Theatre presents a fresh take on a timeless musical. $20 to $35.
6. ART/PARTICIPATORY: All Weekend – New Museum’s Recalling 1993: Call from any NYC pay phone to hear what every neighborhood was like 20 years ago. See map. FREE
7. TALK/BOOK: Fri 3/29 – “Reading Images: Time/Site/Agency”an event that brings scholars, architects, artists and critics to closely look into images and construct arguments, narratives and observations that produce incisive readings of form, politics, representation and the interpretation of “Instant Culture’s” value or devalue in contemporary urbanism today. 7pm FREE
10. MUSIC/PUPPETS/PERFORMANCE: Fri 3/29 & Sat 3/30 – Abigail Washburn: Post-American Girl– the folk singer and banjoist has created a stage piece employing Chinese shadow puppetry and sacred harp singing to tell the story of a young woman coming of age in our swiftly changing global order. 7pm $15
11. SPORT/FUN: Sat 3/30 – The Red Hook Criterium an unsanctioned race series consisting of world class road racers, track specialists, bike messengers, and urban athletes competing around a short, technical circuit. 9pm FREE
13. COMEDY/PERFORMANCE/MUSIC: Sat 3/30 – Martin & Lawrence/Matt Thurber/The Canadian Romantic: An evening of random stuff with interesting people. Some comedy, some performance art, some dancing, some music, some tv, some juggling, some oil painting, some wrestling, some zumba…you get the picture. Bushwick. 8pm to 11:45pm. FREE
14. ART/TALK: Sat 3/30 – MAAS Talks: Artist Richard Garet who interweaves moving image, sound and multimedia performance into his installations talks about his work with Seth Cluett 2pm FREE LIC
16. FILM: Sun 3/31 – distENDed cinema: temporal flow in the wake of sound: “Crucial Fictions” at Outpost Artist Resources in Queens. First in a series of live AV events organized by David Linton 7pm to midnight. $7
17. MUSIC: Sun 3/31 – RSVP Only with music by DJ Trauma, Frei Speech & Danny Ocean. Easter Sunday Brunch Edition. 3 to 9pm. FREE with rsvp
18. DANCE/VIDEO: All Weekend – Lace Gries: The FIFTY Project. For his 50th birthday Gries invited 50 dance colleagues to meet him in a studio for a 50-minute dance encounter. Video documents of these are shown Fri & Sat from 1 to 4:30pm, in a double duet image. Presentations also Fri, Sat 5pm & 8pm. Sun 2pm. FREE with reservation.