Free & Cheap things to do this weekend in NYC (5/17/13 to 5/19/13)
Free & Cheap things to do this weekend in NYC (5/17/13 to 5/19/13) Walks, talks, music, art, architecture, theater, film,
1. ART/FILM/VIDEO: All weekend & through 5/25 Video_dumbo at Eyebeam. 8th annual festival & exhibition of contemporary moving image artwork, will include fourteen video screening programs, alongside eight installation works under the title Re-Return to Sender. Individual screenings $5; day pass $10 (access to all screenings in one day); festival pass $20 (access to all festival screenings); Exhibition entrance is free. See schedule.
2. MUSIC/FOOD: Fri 5/17 – Great GoogaMooga Kickoff Concert featuring Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Flaming Lips & The Darkness with 85 Food Makers, Brews and Wines. Prospect Park 4pm to 10pm. $54.50 (Not exactly cheap but ticket also includes admission to either Sat or Sun entry to the festival)
7. BOOKS/READINGS/FUN: Sat 5/18 – Lit Crawl NYC Brooklyn. A night of readings, sing-alongs, impromptu writing exercises, and games at various locations around Smith Street See schedule for locations and “phases” 5pm on. FREE.
8. DESIGN: All weekend & through 5/20 – Wanted Design in The Tunnel: a lively, interactive destination for the design industry and its devotees. $15 online $25 at door.
11. PERFORMANCE/MUSIC/FOOD: All weekend – The 37th Annual Ukrainian Festival. Three days of festivities on East 7th Street plus over 18,000 pierogi! Starting Fri at 6:30pm. FREE
12. ART: All weekend & through 9/2 –EXPO 1: New York at MoMAPS1 with works/installations by Adrian Villar Rojas, Olafur Eliasson, Meg Webster and more. $10
13. MUSIC: Sat 5/18 – Earthman Experience: Haitian-born vocalist and multi-instrumentalist Richard “Earthman” Laurent presides over this nine-piece fun ensemble. Fela Kuti-inspired Afrobeat meets tribal house jams. 9pm at BAMCafe. FREE
14. ART/DESIGN/TECHNOLOGY: All weekend & through 5/24 – Parsons Festival 2013. Several impressive student exhibits on view in Media, Design, Art & more. 2 West 13th St. Mostly 12pm to 6:30pm but check hours for specific events. FREE
16. ART/CRAFTS/MUSIC: Sun 5/29 – Pop Souk. A one-day pop-up marketplace that brings together DJs, drag queens and other downtown creative folk. Noon to 6pm at the Standard High Line Biergarten. FREE.
17. ART/DESIGN: Sun 5/19 through 5/26 – reMADE Pop-up gallery project featuring work of local artists and designers. Four shows will run two nights each throughout the week of May 19–26.
18. ARCHITECTURE/COMPETITION: All Weekend & through 6/13 – Van Alen Institute’s Ground/Work Competition Call for Portfolios: an international architecture competition seeking innovative designs for a new street-level venue to house Van Alen’s work space and public programs.
CONFERENCE: Fri 5/17 – Uncubed Meet Founders Learn Skills & Join one of NYC’s exciting StartUps plus a Party! 2pm to 7:30pm. $30
DESIGN: All weekend – Home in the Woods in Soho: featuring work by masters and progressive designers and artists with a Nordic connection. 12pm to 8pm, with daily “talks & delights” between 6pm & 7pm. FREE
ART: All weekend with cocktail party on Sat 5/18 from 9pm to 11:30pm – Gallery R’Pure presents“Off the Grid” featuring new pieces from Brooklyn based French born François Chambard and New York based Frederick McSwain