Cheap things to do this weekend in NYC (5/31/13 to 6/2/13)
Free & Cheap things to do this weekend in NYC (5/31/13 to 6/2/13). It’s going to be hot hot hot this weekend, but there are plenty of outdoor or indoor (if you prefer) activities in art, music, food, architecture, theater, film, design, comedy and general fun. Check out some of our picks for this weekend in NYC…
1. MUSIC/TALK: Fri 5/31 – Meet the Musicians: The Lonely Island, “The Wack Album” 7:00 p.m. FREE
2. THEATER: Fri 5/31 & Sat 6/1 – The Hotel Colors Six travelers spend one night in a rundown hostel in the outskirts of Rome. Speaking in direct translation from Italian into English the eccentric voyagers form a temporary community and unexpected friendships as they fail–and flail–in their attempts to communicate. 8pm $18.
3. MUSIC: Fri 5/31 – The Dandy Warhols: Featuring 13 Tales From Urban Bohemia In Its Entirety! $30 8pm
4. TOUR/BEACH/FUN: Sat 6/1 – Rockspot Bike Tour: Interactive tour that explores sites of environmental and historical significance along the Rockaway Peninsula. 11am to 2pm. FREE with registration
5. ART/MUSIC/DANCE/THEATER: All weekend – Howl! Festival – Presenting poetry, music, dance, theater, fine art, and intersections of popular culture, new technologies and artistic expression that defy easy categorization. Fri 4:30pm to 7pm. Sat & Sun 11am to 7pm. FREE
6. ART: All weekend: – Bushwick Open Studios – 3 days of arts and culture festival that celebrates the community’s vibrant art scene. 615 shows/studios! FREE
7. ARCHITECTURE/GARDENS: Sat 6/1 – Garden Day at the Cloisters. 10am to 4pm. Pay what you wish, suggested $25.
8. FUN: Sat 6/1 – Nametag Day! Imagine everyone in New York City wearing a nametag. On June 1st, we’ll be giving them out at sites all over the city. FREE
9. THEATER/MUSIC: Sat 6/1 – Times Square the musical at Joe’s Pub by Jill Sobule and Robin Eaton 9:30pm $20
10. ART/MUSIC/FOOD: Sat 6/1 & Sun 6/2 – EAT LABA Arts Festival: an exploration of the power of food in ancient Jewish texts. Art, music, performances, teachings and tastings. Sat 8:30pm Sun 3pm at 14th St Y. $25 to $35.
11. ART/TECH: Sat 6/1 & Sun 6/2 through 7/31 – New York Electronic Art Festival. A summer series of concerts, workshops, and exhibits centered on the cutting-edge work at the intersection of art and technology. FREE
12. DESIGN: All weekend & through 8/16 – Toy Chest: a design exhibit of furniture and objects inspired by toys. A Lincoln Logs chair, a Banana Split Bench… Jellio Design Lab. Noon to 5pm. FREE
13. MUSIC: All weekend – NYC POP Fest: Music festival various bands and venues. $10 to $20
14. COMEDY/MUSIC: All weekend – NYC Funny Songs Fest. Professional entertainers whose acts consist of jokes, songs and/or satirical sketches intended to make an audience laugh, which also incorporate the use of a musical instrument. FREE to $12. See schedule.
15. FOOD/FASHION: Sun 6/2 – DayLife – 3-block special event that covers Orchard Street in astroturf and pushcarts, and includes the best in LES food and fashion vendors. FREE
16. ART/MUSIC: All weekend & through 6/16: 88 Sing for Hope Pianos as public art pieces all over town. Play one or listen to others play. Sat & Sun only you can request a tune via twitter to Stanley the player piano at Chobani in Soho.
17. FILM: Fri 5/31 & Sat 6/1 – Rooftop Films. “Trapped” (Short Films) on Fri and “The Dirties” on Sat. 8pm. $13.
18. DESIGN/TECH/CLASS: Sun 6/2 – Make Your Own MakerBot 3D object. They’ll have a selection of Dad-themed objects for you to make on a MakerBot® Replicator 2® Desktop 3D Printers, all made with MakerBot PLA Filament. Participation is $10, pre-paid upon registration.
ART/PERFORMANCE: Sun 6/2 – Attend a live performance by Liu Bolin and witness the creation of a new photograph in his Hiding in New York series. 4pm to 6pm at Eli Klein Gallery, 462 West Broadway. FREE.
thank you for the post 😀