This weekend’s picks for free and cheap cultural things to do in New York. From art exhibits, to films, music, theater, food festivals and more, free or affordable August 24, 25, and 26, 2012.)
1. Art/Performance- Studio on the Street:Liz Magic Laser at Forever & Today, 141 Division St. Liz Magic Laser transforms the storefront into a newsroom and acts as anchorwoman. Reception: Friday, 8/24 6-8pm. Open Studio Weekend: Saturday 8/25 & Sunday 8/26, 12-6pm FREE
2. Film– Sleepwalk with Me, at the IFC with Mike Birbiglia and Ira Glass doing Q&A’s in person all showtimes on Friday 8/24 and Saturday 8/25. The monologue/play a few years back was excellent! $13
6. Theater – TJ & Dave at the Barrow Street Theater. Late night improvisation from two second city veterans. All weekend at 10:30pm. Use Code TJDAUG for $15 tickets, otherwise: $20.
7. Music/Food – 13th Annual Blue BBQ Festival.Blues bands and food from Dinosaur Bar-B-Que and Brother Jimmy’s BBQ. Pier 84 on the Hudson. Saturday 8/25. 2pm to 9pm. FREE
8. Beach/Walk/Art – Long Walks on the Beach: a public project that randomly pairs people to take a long walk on the beach at Rockaway together. This is an experience-based artwork that uses walking as its medium. Saturday 8/25 and Sunday 8/26. First call, first served. Call (917) 300-9521 to make an appointment. FREE
9. Music/Food – Surfed Out Session; music, Roberta’s pizza and $3 beers, Saturday 8/25, 4pm to midnight. Beach 87 at Rockaway. FREE
10. Art/Design – America’s Most-Wanted Eco Posters on Governors Island. Moderator Edward Morris leads panelists that include Ellen Lupton, Diego Gutierrez and Debbie Millman in discussing the current state of the environmental movement and the efficacy of art and design as well as designing a related poster in real time. Saturday 8/25 , 2pm to 4pm. FREE. (this event is sold out online, but organizers suspect that not all who registered will show up…)
11. Food/Art – Family Dinner at Culturefix on the LES. Restaurant employees sit down to “family meal”. This meal is usually a one pot meal that is good. At CULTUREfix, they take family meal and offer it to everyone. “Always changing and always delicious” the meal will be served from 6pm to 7:30pm on Saturday 8/25. FREE
12. Art/Photography – ICP Occupies Governors Island: Exhibiting Powerful Images from the 99%. All weekend, through 9/30. On Governors Island. FREE
13. Music – 10 operas on the Lincoln Center Plaza projected in HD, starting Saturday 8/25 with The Enchanted Island, and Sunday 8/26 Don Giovanni. 7:30pm to 10:30pm. FREE
14. Theater/Music – Jason and the Argonauts an avant garde rock concert at the East River Amphitheater. Saturday 8/25 and Sunday 8/26 at 8pm. FREE.
15. Food – New Amsterdam Market Tomato Festival Uncook-off: 10 Chefs will compete head-to-head to transform heirloom tomatoes into tantalizing tomato dishes meant to be prepared simply and served “un-hot.” Sunday 8/26, 12pm to 4pm at the Old Fulton Fish Market. $20 Register here.
16. Music – Janelle Monae performs as part of the Afro-Punk Fest at Commodore Barry Park. Festival is both Saturday 8/25 and Sunday 8/26, from 12pm to 9pm. Janelle Monae performs on Sunday at 7:30pm. Check site for rest of schedule.FREE
18. Comedy/Performance/Music – Reggie Watts performs as part of the Afro-Punk Fest at Commodore Barry Park. Festival is both Saturday 8/25 and Sunday 8/26, from 12pm to 9pm. Watts performs Sunday at 5:45. FREE