This weekend’s picks for free and cheap things to do in New York. Affordable cultural events in art, music, dance, theater, food and general fun for the weekend of 9/21/2012 to 9/23/2012.
1. Art/Architecture- Tatzu Nishi’s very fun installation: Discovering Columbus (see post), an elevated living room surrounding the statue in Columbus Circle. All weekend and through 11/18. FREE with reserved timed pass.
3. Film – The Coney Island Film Festival, All weekend. Screenings and parties range from $7 to $12.
4. Art/Design – Process 01:Joy, at the new P! Gallery in Chinatown, 334 Broome St. Friday 9/21 and Saturday 9/22, FREE. Also related: Saturday, 9/22 from 3 to 5pm the artists Carrion-Murayari, Conaty, and Martens in Conversation at Projects Projects (161 Bowery 2nd Floor) FREE with RSVP
9. Music/Performance/Art/Food – Fourth Arts Block (FAB), will take over East 4th Street for its annual arts extravaganza. An afternoon of free performances by local artists, with multiple indoor and outdoor stages showcasing dance, theater, & music, local artisans and gourmet food vendors, art installations, Saturday 9/22, 1 to 5pm FREE
10. Music – Heritage Blues Trio at 3pm followed by Rory Block singing the blues at 4pm. Saturday 9/22 in Madison Square Park. FREE
11. Film/Documentary – Detropia at IFC. A lyrical and exquisitely shot meditation on abandonment, decay and unexpected renewal of Detroit. All weekend. Co-director Rachel Grady will be at the 6:10 show Saturday 9/22 for a Q&A. $13.50
12. Books –Brooklyn Book Festival at Borough Hall, Sunday 9/23, 10am to 6pm. FREE
13. Music– Rupa & The April Fishes at Le Poisson Rouge, Sunday 9/23 . Doors 10pm. $15
Performance/Food – 10th Autumn Moon Festival, Sunday 9/23, 11am to 5pm. FREE
TV/Fun – Emmy Screening Party, at Brooklyn Winery, Sunday 9/23, 7 to 11pm. FREE 21+
Check back for updates and take a look at our previous Culture on the Cheap posts for additional suggestions. Happy weekend!