Free & Cheap things to do this weekend in NYC (3/1/13 to 3/3/13) in art, music, theater, performance, dance, architecture, film, design and general fun. Click through to event pages for more info, either on above images or below descriptions.
4. THEATER: All weekend – Guillermo Calderon’s Neva. The story of Anton Chekov’s widow and two actors waiting to rehearse The Cherry Orchard on Bloody Sunday. “Political and human” Use code WINTER2 for $36.50 tkts.
5. ART/TALK: Fri 3/1 – Stephan Pastis creator of the comic strip, “Pearls Before Swine,”discusses his book, “Timmy Failure: Mistakes Were Made.”: 6pm FREE
6. ART: All Weekend & through 6/9 –No Limits: Alexandre Arrechea playfully reinterprets 10 iconic buildings such as Chrysler & Empire in large sculptures along Park Ave. from 54th to 67th Streets. Walking Tour with the artist Sat 3/2, 4pm to 5:30pm. Meet at 54th and Park. FREE. Update: As of 3/1 in the afternoon, only two sculptures were up. Seems like there’s a delay, and I’m not sure what the story is with the walking tour now…
7. ART/PERFORMANCE/FOOD/FILM: All Weekend and through 3/9 – Cold Castle at Family Business: small-scale life installation performance experience. Join them for tea on Sat 3/2 or brunch, a film screening or dinner on Sun 3/3. See schedule here. FREE
9. FILM/TALK: Sat 3/2 – Nick Offerman from ‘Parks & Recreation’ discusses his film ‘Somebody Up There Likes Me’. 3pm FREE
10. MUSIC: Sat 3/2 – Sasha Siem w/ Matt Siffert . Official Launch of her debut EP “So Polite. doors 6:30pm. Show 7:30pm $15 adv. $20 door.
11. ART/DESIGN/TECH: Sat 3/2 – Art Hack Day: God Mode: 60 artists and hackers explore the idea of God Mode and produce new, collaborative projects. Join the teams on Saturday starting at 7:00pm for an exhibition, live performances, and party. FREE
17. FILM: Sun 3/3 – NYC Premiere of The Sapphires, distributed by The Weinstein Company, big hit in Australia: 7pm. $15
18. ART/SCIENCE/TALK: Sun 3/3 –The New Yorker Cartoonists, 3 cartoonists explore creative illusion with neuroscientist Richard Restak. With audience interactivity and a pre-ptrogarm allery tour. Tour 5:15. Talk 6pm $25