Free & Cheap things to do this weekend in NYC (4/26/13 to 4/28/13) from participatory art events, to music, dance, talks, a design conference, outdoor garden and cherry blossoms, oh and food! Fun and interesting events all weekend long, ’cause it’s spring and spring in NYC is the best (after summer, of course.) Click through on images above for official event pages with more info or in the descriptions below.
1. FOOD/TOUR: Fri 4/26 & every Friday: Free Chinatown Food Tour – sample tasty fried dumplings, tapioca bubble tea, sticky buns, candied crabs and more. You choose what treats you would like to taste and how much you would like to spend. Suggested amount for snacks $7 to $10. 1pm to 3pm. Reservations required.
3. DESIGN: Fri 4/26 – Bordo Bello NYC through July 2nd. A skateboard art show at the AIGA National gallery. FREE.
4. ART: All weekend & through 9/8: Orly Genger’s monumental installation of hand-knotted brightly colored nautical rope takes over Madison Square Park. Much cooler than the rendering on the site. FREE.
5. ART/PERFORMANCE/PARTICIPATORY/TOUR: Fri 4/26 – Concrete Escort I, II, III, IV at the Guggenheim. Ei Arakawa’s performance-based work. Axe-wielding man, participatory sprinting down the museum’s spiral walkway and other activities/performances. 6pm and 8pm. $20 to $25.
6. MUSIC: Fri 4/26 – Catch-Pop String-Strong: This duo come from Serbia and Kosovo, play viola and cello, often singing. they are both intense and full of humor. 6:30pm FREE w/RSVP
9. ART/TECH: Fri 4/26 & Sat 4/27 – Alchemy & Art – Part I. Features 3D prints from Lily Su and Heidi Lee In addition, there will be live demonstrations, including Kinect body scanning and 3D printing with Ultimaker and Up! desktop printers. Opening Fri 7 to 9pm. Sat 4pm to midnight including party. FREE
11. DESIGN/CONFERENCE/WORKSHOP: Sat 4/27 – DIY Days is about the accessibility of ideas, resources and networking that can enable creators to fund, create, distribute and sustain. 9:15 to 6pm with Social Mixer from 6:15 to 8pm. FREE
12. MUSIC/FOOD/FUN: Sat 4/27 – F.O.R.T: CSAA’s interactive multi-tiered garden opens with all day music, food, and general merriment. 12 to 7pm at the Silent Barn. FREE
17. PERFORMANCE/FUN/MUSIC: Sun 4/28 – Sakura Matsuri, the annual cherry blossom festival offers over 60 events and performances that celebrate traditional and contemporary Japanese culture. Brooklyn Botanical Gardens 10am to 6pm. $15 to $20.
18. NEXT SUNDAY/MUSIC: Sun 5/5 – The National at PS1 performing their song “Sorrow” for 6 hours straight. Get tickets now: $15.
FOOD/CRAFTS/FUN >> Sat 4/27 & Sats thru 10/26– Hester Street Fair kicks off their season. 10am to 6pm. FREE
ART >> All Weekend & till next April– Busted – the High Line’s latest commission. Figurative sculptures, celebratory portraits, and commemorative monuments installed on and around the High Line. FREE
ART >> Fri 4/26 & Sat 4/27 and through June 22nd – Here and There. New work by Maya Lin exploring environmental issues at Pace 57th St. FREE
ART >> All Weekend – Fashion Center Space for Public Art, a vibrant series of public window displays which showcase the work of local artists. This month through May: the paintings of Diane Englander. 215 West 38th Street (between 7th and 8th Avenue) FREE